It was a hot muggy Saturday at AO Mastodon, but we had our largest Saturday turnout in a while! 13 PAX, yes 13! (Archive, Captain Crunch, Noodles, Davinci, Saga, TBTF, Katniss, Shiplap, Sparrow, Big Mac, Hotbox, Jazz Hands, Banks). With the growing numbers, YHC felt it was time to spend a few minutes on how to Q and properly call cadence so that everyone is on the same page moving forward with workouts.
We started off reviewing the disclaimer, as well as the 5 principles of F3.
Welcome to F3, this is a free, volunteer, peer-led workout. I am not a professional. I have no knowledge of any injuries or fitness considerations. It is each person’s responsibility to be safe and modify exercises if you need to. We all do it, most important thing is that you don’t get hurt.
5 Principles of F3:
- Be free of charge
- Be open to all men
- Be held outdoors, rain or shine, heat or cold
- Be led by men who participate in the workout in a rotating fashion, with no training or certification necessary
- End with a Circle of Trust
We then covered the importance of and how to call cadence. The workout today demonstrated various different types of cadence to show it is not all one size fits all.
- Creates rhythm which distracts the mind from the task at hand
- Builds teamwork by synchronizing PAX and creating focus
- Not knowing the number of reps discourages budgeting of effort; you get used to going as long as you have to
Proper Cadence Sequence:
- “The next exercise is…” [pause] “Side Straddle Hop!” (or name of other exercise) – PAX REPEAT BACK!
- “Starting Position…” [pause] “Move!”
- “In Cadence…” [pause] “Exercise!” (begin count 1..2..3)
We then got into the actual warmup:
- 7x Motivators
- 15x Tin Soldiers IC
- 15x Mountain Man Poopers IC
- 15x Merkins IC
- 10x 6-count body builders IC
The Thang: Tour de Mastodon
- Stop #1 – We broke into 3 groups and completed 15x Pull ups as the pacer, the other PAX did BBS and planked while waiting
- Stop #2 – Basketball Court Suicides – We all ran one iteration
- Stop #3 – Pool Complex – we circled up and completed the following
- 20x Merkins
- 10x 8-Count Body Builders IC
- 25x LBC IC
- 25x Right side oblique crunch IC
- 25x Left side oblique crunch IC
- 50x Flutter Kicks IC
- 20x Squats IC
- Stop #4 – Dan Taylor Alley – We completed Dan Taylor’s up to 7 Squats & 28 Lunges
- Stop #5 – Baseball Diamond – We held people’s chair while we rotated through PAX “Running” the bases by crab walking to first, bear crawl to second, lunge to third, and sprint home
- Stop #6 – Caterpillar – We planked and then box jumped over all the PAX indian run style
- Stop #7 – Monkey Bars – We quickly all crossed the monkey bars
- Stop #8 – 11’s – We ran the lightposts back to the flag completing 11’s of Merkins and Squats along the way.
All PAX survived the heat and were better for it. I am thankful for the group indulging me in a little different type of Q, but hopefully it makes us all better and gives us some more things to try out. Prayers for Beth, Big Mac’s friends going through a tough time in their relationship, and praise for Jazz Hands getting some much needed rest. Great job today men!